Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Stone Cutter

{This is not original, but rather reworked}

A man from a faraway country set out to discover who—or what—was the most powerful being in the world.
He started with his neighbor, a stone-cutter. “Sir,” he asked on the first day of his quest. “I am searching for the being that holds the most power in the world. Can you help me?”
The stone-cutter shouldered his hammer and chisel. “Try the king. He holds the power over the land. He can tax us, protect us, or steal our young men to wage war on other countries. Everything he does directly affects the land. He has power over all.” With that, he left the young man.
The man watched as the stone-cutter found a boulder, placed his chisel in a niche, and struck his hammer against it.
Chink. Chink. Chink.
The man left his neighbor and traveled to the king’s court to seek an audience with the monarch of the realm. When finally admitted to the throne room, he bowed low before the king.
“Sire, I am searching for the most powerful being in the world and have been led here. I have heard it said that you are most powerful.”
The king smiled and slowly shook his head. He descended the steps to his throne, beckoned for the man to follow, and walked out on the balcony.
“I am not the most powerful being in the world. He,” the king gestured toward the sky, “is the most powerful.”
“I don’t understand. Who are you talking about?”
“The Sun. The Sun is more powerful than I. He does not obey my orders, will not set when I tell him to, nor rise when I decree. He can also make me sweat and cause me to remove my winter clothing and blankets. He drives me from my stuffy throne room into the hot gardens, forcing me to seek refuge under the trees.
“He, my friend, is the most powerful being. Seek him out.”
His audience ended, the man continued his journey. It took a long time and a great deal of inventiveness, but he finally reached the domain of the Sun.
Ignoring the unbearable heat and shutting his eyes against the brilliance, he timidly approached the Lord of the Day.
“Your Majesty,” he called. “I seek the most powerful being in the world. Are you he?”
A loud, rumbling laugh filled his ears and a voice sounded like hundreds and hundreds of hammers striking anvils spoke.
“Foolish mortal. You have wasted your time. I am no more the most powerful than you are.”
“But, I was told that you could heat the world, make plants grow or die, cause people to remove their winter garments, make men thirsty, and even blind those who look on you.”
“True, true.” The Sun laughed again, pleased by these words. “But there is one who holds the power to check my rays of light.”
Just then, the man felt a sudden coolness sweep over him. He even dared to open his eyes and found himself shrouded in a thick fog. The Sun sighed.
“Do you see? The clouds can cover me, hide my shining face from the earth, protect you mortals from my wrath. They can absorb my heat and replenish the water I have evaporated. He can heal the crops I would have destroyed. The clouds are definitely more powerful than I. Speak to them,” he said, effectively dismissing his visitor.
The man, after more time spent searching for his destination, made his way to the palace of the Cloud King. It was gray, what he could see of it, covered in clouds, and very, very wet.
“King of Clouds, I have journeyed far to find the most powerful being. The Sun has directed me to you. You can flood the earth; you can make things grow. You can cool the earth with your rain and shield the parched ground from the Sun’s harsh light and disperse his heat. You create rainbows. Surely, O King, you must be most powerful.”
“How I wish that were true, human.” The Cloud King’s voice sounded as if he were speaking through water. “What you have said is correct, but I have no power over where I go or when I go. The winds direct my path, blows me where they will. I have to obey its slightest whim, the barest breeze.” A large gust blew into the room, swirling the clouds around and creating chaos. As he was swept away, the King of the Clouds yelled, “Talk to the wiiiiiiiiiiiiind!”
Slightly confused, the man sought out the Ruler of the Winds. He found him on the Earth, blowing around a stone quarry, looking and sounding very agitated.
“Ruler of the Winds, may I speak to you?”
A breathy voice answered angrily, “Not now, fool. Can’t you see I am busy?” He gathered himself up and raced around the quarry again. “These stones refuse to budge when I blow them. They hold some power I have yet to conquer. Every week I come down here and show them my power, but they refuse to budge.”
“But, O Ruler, I was told that you were the most powerful being in the world.”
The Wind stilled suddenly, then burst out laughing, kicking up a violent whirlwind. “Who told you that? What idiot have you been talking to? Can’t you see that these rocks still resist my every attempt? I have been coming here since the beginning of time and these stubborn boulders have yet to budge an inch.”
“I’m sorry, Ruler. The Cloud King told me—“
“The King of the Clouds, eh? Well, I’ll tell you this—he’s wrong. As much as I’d like to take the credit, you’ve seen with your own eyes that I’m not. I had better go and settle this with the high and mighty Cloud King.” The Ruler of the Winds noisily blew away, leaving the man standing among the boulders.
He shrugged and called, “Stone King, are you the most powerful?”
A low, guttural voice replied, as if coming from the heart of the Earth. “No. Everyday, a stone-cutter comes from the village and chips away at us. Soon, we will be no more. The stone-cutter is more powerful than we are.”
Very troubled, the man returned to his home, still unsure of who the most powerful being in the world really was. The next day his neighbor came to visit.
“It is good to have you back, my friend. Tell me, did you accomplish your quest? Who is the most powerful being in the world?”
After a moment’s silence, the man looked at him and thoughtfully said, “You are.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

account login for free website hit counter code
Download a free web counter here.